Focus Gets You What You Want – Dave Sanderson
Have you seen the movie Sully? If you haven’t, perhaps you’re familiar with the story of The Miracle on the Hudson from January 15, 2009. It’s the unique story of an airbus landing safely on the Hudson River with no fatalities, thanks to the quick-thinking determination of the plane’s crew.
My guest today is Dave Sanderson, who was a firsthand witness to this amazing story. He was one of the last passengers to evacuate the plane as it stayed afloat in the icy river. Dave’s super power is what allowed him to have laser vision on the outcome he was looking for in this challenge that could have ended very differently. You don’t want to miss this conversation with Dave!
Dave’s Bio: He was a top sales producer in every company he worked for and on January 15th 2009 was on a business trip he had made hundreds of times before. Like all of us when we travel, especially on business, things are often routine and we take things for granted. Then out of the blue something happens that changes what was once routine to a day that changes your life.
When a bird strike hit US Airways Flight 1549, there was no choice for the crew but to ditch the plane into the Hudson River. Thinking only of helping others in the crisis, our speaker became the last person off of the back of the plane that day, and was largely responsible for making sure so many others made it out safely.
In what has become known as “The Miracle on the Hudson,” he shares the lessons of that day with audiences around the world and shows you how leadership, resourcefulness and managing your mind in a crisis, anyone can step up and overcome their own “personal plane crash.”
- Dave’s super power: FOCUS
- How Dave’s 30-year sales career evolved into entrepreneurship
- From Dave’s work with Tony Robbins, how to manage your state of mind
- Reliving the FOCUS of The Miracle on the Hudson
- The benefits of associating and disassociating quickly
- Dave’s daily activities to improve focus: working out and reading
- Actionable steps to improve focus:
- Move your body
- Learn the power of disassociating
- Focus on the MOMENT
- The myth of multitasking
- The benefits of compartmentalizing
- “Get back on the horse!”
- The movie: Sully
- Dave’s book, Moments Matter, and how it came to be
Interview Links & Other Resources
Sign Up for Business Culture Insights and receive
7 Practices for a Happier Workplace